Grade 3 Stationary Engineer 2nd Shift
Company: McDaniel College
Location: Mount Airy
Posted on: May 13, 2022
About McDaniel College: McDaniel College, recognized nationally
among "Colleges that Change Lives" and U.S. News and World Report
top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of
the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate
programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus
20 highly regarded graduate programs. At McDaniel College we value
our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition
remission, 403B retirement accounts, paid time off, medical
insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid
maternity and parental leave. Visit College website for details.
Job Description: Responsible for the operation, preventative
maintenance, repair, replacement, and renovation of boiler systems
and other mechanical systems on campus. This is a 40-hour/week
position requiring coverage Tuesday-Saturday from 2:00pm-10:30pm.
Occasional overtime as needed. Basic Responsibilities * Able to
work independently with little supervision.
* Perform duties to ensure that equipment is operating safely,
efficiently, and in compliance with all regulatory/inspection
* Provide stationary engineering support to ensure the boiler plant
is well maintained and delivering the proper steam pressure to the
* Monitor, repair, and perform preventive maintenance of HVAC
systems, heating systems, ventilation/exhaust systems, and
refrigeration systems as required.
* Provide excellent communication with students, faculty, and staff
- both verbally and in writing.
* This role requires working evenings, weekends, and holidays as
* Must be able to respond to emergencies on an on-call basis as
needed, as well as participate in department on call schedule.
Specific Responsibilities The following are typical examples of the
type of work performed under this job description. This list does
not include all work to be performed and duties are subject to
change as deemed necessary by the Director of Building Operations
and Maintenance. * Observe and interpret readings from gauges,
meters, and charts registering various aspects of boiler plant,
heat exchanger, and other mechanical system operation to ensure
systems are operating properly.
* Collect data and maintain boiler plant and mechanical room logs
consisting of pressures, temperatures, water levels, fuel/water
consumption, electrical loads, etc.
* Test water quality on boilers, fountains, pools, and other
hydronic systems and log results. Take appropriate corrective
action to prevent corrosion and harmful deposits and bring levels
* Monitor and make adjustments/repairs to boiler water, water
softener, chemical, and fuel levels.
* Check and maintain appropriate levels of boiler chemicals and
* Analyze problems and take appropriate action to ensure continuous
and reliable operation of equipment and systems within and outside
of the boiler plant.
* Monitor, troubleshoot, inspect, and report equipment, computer
monitoring software, switches, valves, gauges, safety devices, and
meters to detect leaks or malfunctions to ensure equipment is
operating safely and efficiently.
* Perform tasks for boiler inspections to meet MD DLLR codes and
* Check fuel level and general status of emergency generators.
* Perform maintenance duties such as: Checking water level and
skimming outdoor fountain, unclogging a toilet/sink/urinal/drain
line, replacing ceiling tiles, resetting breaker, boarding up
broken window, and other general maintenance tasks.
* Repair and replace pneumatic steam valves, radiator valves,
traps, and steam and condensate pipes.
* Repair and replace components such as expansion tanks, valves,
pumps, motors, compressors, etc.
* Repair and rebuild steam line regulator valves and controls.
Repair or replace leaking radiators.
* Service, repair, replace residential gas/oil boilers, furnaces,
and other heating system components.
* Assist in the proper labeling of pipes and equipment to maintain
* Work as part of a group to perform maintenance activities of a
general nature such as window air conditioner installation and
removal, commencement set up/tear down, etc. There may be times
during the year when time off is not available or limited.
* Participate as part of emergency team to perform such tasks as
electrical shutdown, start up, etc.
* Work with contractors and construction staff to locate lines,
valves, and other system equipment. Perform shut down/start up as
* Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and
supplies; promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and
* Clean equipment in related areas.
* Perform snow shoveling/removal.
* Perform maintenance and repairs of general nature as
* Perform related work in this classification routinely and work
outside this classification on temporary, occasional basis.
Requirements: Qualifications * Must possess and maintain current MD
Grade 3 Stationary Engineer license with at least 1 year experience
working with steam boilers at that level.
* Must have working knowledge of steam, water, and natural gas
distribution systems maintenance and repair.
* Must possess and maintain EPA 608 CFC certification, Universal
* Must have the ability to read and comprehend written
instructions, procedures, and service manuals.
* Must have the ability to express oneself orally as well as in
* Must have the ability to learn departmental policies, procedures,
and mechanical systems, proper use of tools and materials used to
perform duties within a ninety-day probationary period.
* Must have valid driver's license with two or less points.
* Must be able to work during emergency weather events including
but not limited to snow, hurricanes, tornados, etc.
* Must be able to respond to campus emergencies when called.
Employee Responsibilities * Must attend weekly
* Must be familiar with employee handbook.
* Must be familiar with departmental policies.
* Must attend in-service education as directed. Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
exposed to outdoor weather conditions such as heat, cold, snow, and
rain, dirt, and steam. The noise level in the work environment is
usually moderate. Exposure to operating machinery consistent with
working in a maintenance department. Physical Abilities The
physical demands described below are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job: * Ability to work in noise, heat, cold,
odors, dirt, outdoor temperatures, snow, steam, and emergency
situations. Ability to work at higher elevation to gain access to
* Ability to repetitively push and pull objects weighing up to
75lbs without assistance while kneeling, squatting, reaching above
the head, the waist, and below the knees. Must be able to bend at
* Ability to repetitively grasp and manipulate objects of varying
size and weight requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye
* Ability to exert oneself physically over sustained periods of
time to complete job activities.
* Ability to stand a minimum of 6 hours during the workday.
Additional Information: McDaniel College, an equal opportunity
employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and
employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any
of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will
not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any
protected status including race, religion, color, national origin,
disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status,
veteran's status or any other legally protected status. For more
information on the College's commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion, please visit Application Instructions: Completed
applications must include the following: Cover Letter addressing
position qualifications and related experience; Resume, Names and
Contact Information of three professional references, and completed
Job Application. Review of applications begins immediately. The
position will remain open until filled.
Keywords: McDaniel College, Ellicott City , Grade 3 Stationary Engineer 2nd Shift, Professions , Mount Airy, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!