BH Patient Safety Aide Lvl 1 - PRN Emergency Services
Company: WellSpan Health
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Job Description:Under the direct supervision of the Nurse
Manager or designated RN, is responsible to provide care to
patients that require behavioral management and patients that
present a risk due to psychiatric illnesses. The position
encompasses care for patients that require special precautions and
is required to remain with the assigned patient at all times during
their shift except when relieved by staff for breaks. The aide is
expected to remain alert and observant to prevent injury or escape
and provide de-escalation of patient behaviors. The aid is expected
to engage in therapeutic communication and activities to distract,
occupy and develop a positive supportive rapport with patients.
This role will also be required to transport patients as
needed.This position requires Child Abuse Clearance, High Risk
Observer Training and required Epic documentation.
- Maintains Behavioral Health patient safety. Provides one on one
observation for patients who are high risk elopement patients,
patients that require behavioral management, suicidal patients or
any other patient requiring one on one observation.
- Accompanies patient during transport and escorts patients as
- Obtains verbal report from the patient's nurse to include
information regarding the patient's identified care needs to work
collaboratively with the care team.
- Positions self in patient room at bedside to maintain constant
visual observation of the patient. Never leaves the patient alone
or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the nurse.
- Observant of the patient's activity and behavior. Defuses
situations and communicates on a regular basis to the nurse.
Reports any pertinent observations to the RN.
- Provides for patient comfort, safety, and satisfaction.
Maintains a safe and therapeutic milieu.
- Assumes responsibility for conducting milieu groups, as
- Responds promptly and appropriately to crisis or emergency.
Utilizes principles, of MBMT in managing high risk situations.
- Communicates in a professional manner and demonstrates respect
for patient, families/significant other and other health care
- Offers support and feedback to peers and staff.
- Applies principles of caring and healing in interactions with
patients and families and with colleagues.
- Engages patient in therapeutic communication and activities to
distract, occupy and develop a therapeutic rapport. Participates in
the provision of diversional activities such as playing cards,
board games, therapeutic communication, etc..
- Documents required information in the Electronic Health Record
(EHR), as appropriate.
- This position requires floating to all units to provide care
across the hospital.
- Performs other related duties as identified.Qualifications
- Minimum Experience:
- No prior experience required
- Minimum Education:
- High School or G.E.D.
- Required Certification:
- :BLS certification; Child Abuse Clearance
- Req Courses/Training WellSpan High Risk Observation Training
Class (in person training) or per entity requirement; MBMT
training; Epic Training
- Physical Demands:
- Mostly sedentary work
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Occasionally lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling
- Patient restraint as trained in MBMT
- Good customer service skills; Excellent communication skills
and de-escalation skills
Keywords: WellSpan Health, Ellicott City , BH Patient Safety Aide Lvl 1 - PRN Emergency Services, Other , Gettysburg, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!