As a leading employer in the region, UPMC Pinnacle strives to
attract and retain talented, compassionate people who share this
same vision. Whether you are a certified pharmacy technician ready
to be professionally challenged or interested in on-the-job
training to start a career as a pharmacy assistant.
There are many benefits to becoming an employee at UPMC
- Fast-paced Inpatient environment with leading-edge
- Career Ladder and advancement opportunities
- Work collaboratively with physicians, nurses, and
- Competitive wages and benefits
This will be a full-time position working various hours with
rotation, including weekends and holidays. Varied positions for all
experience and skill levels at multiple locations.
UPMC Pinnacle Hospital locations include: UPMC Carlisle, UPMC
Pinnacle Community Osteopathic Campus, UPMC Hanover, UPMC Pinnacle
Harrisburg, UPMC Lititz, UPMC Pinnacle West Shore, and UPMC
Memorial in York.
The Pharmacy Technician, under the direction and supervision of
a pharmacist, will assist in the preparation, dispensing, charging,
and delivery of medications to patients. Patients served include
all age groups.
- Accurately prepares and labels medications for dispensing or
distribution under the supervision of the pharmacist.
- Properly labels pre-made IV solutions and admixtures.
- Prepares and labels IV admixtures and other sterile products.
Perform necessary calculations. Demonstrates an understanding of
and utilizes proper aseptic technique.
- Once trained, prepares specialty products such as chemotherapy,
epidurals, etc. under the direction of a pharmacist.
- Repackages medications as necessary and completes all required
- Understands and complies with handling procedures for
- Proactively and continuously answers the telephone, waits on
customers, and checks the pneumatic tube station.
- Assists in training employees and pharmacy students with regard
to work procedures.
- Completes all necessary documentation including medication
credits, charge forms and various logs according to departmental
- Maintains Pharmacy in a clean, orderly and safe manner by
restocking shelves, cleaning work stations, returning medications
to stock, etc.
- Daily contact with Nursing Departmental Personnel, other
departmental hospital personnel, physicians, and other UPMC
- Travels among UPMC Pinnacle facilities when necessary and as
directed to complete assigned Pharmacy activities.
Employment experience required for Pharmacy Assistant:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required.
Employment experience required for Pharmacy Technician:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Employment experience required (one of the following is
- Prior pharmacy technician experience
- College Degree (minimally an Associate's degree) and previous
related healthcare experience
- Prior health-system pharmacy experience preferred.
Employment experience required for Certified Pharmacy Technician
(one of the following will is required):
- Previous technician experience with certification by the
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Bachelor's degree with certification by the Pharmacy Technician
Certification Board (PTCB).
- Successfully completes all assigned annual competencies.
- Certification by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
(PTCB) obtained and maintained including required continuing
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
Act 33 with renewalAct 34 with renewalAct 73 FBI Clearance with
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran