Lifeguard/Swim Instructor- Recreation & Parks
Company: Howard County Government
Location: Ellicott City
Posted on: June 8, 2021
POSITION SUMMARY/CLASS DESCRIPTION
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Under the immediate supervision of the
Assistant Pool Managers, Pool Manager and the general supervision
of the Aquatics Supervisor, the Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is
responsible for guarding their area of responsibility, responding
to any level of incident around the entire aquatics facility,
enforcing the center rules fairly and politely, being responsive to
guest requests, ensuring safety, being patient and enthusiastic
while teaching and holding productive lessons; setting up and
cleaning up lesson station, maintaining communication and
relationships with the participant and/or parents of the
participant, and other tasks assigned by supervisors.
- Work shifts as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor and follow the
expectations of both positions.
- Maintain constant surveillance and visually scan assigned area
of responsibility every 10 seconds. Walk the area to monitor
activities, provide instructions and prevent accidents.
- Rescue swimmers in danger of drowning and respond to all
illness and injury incidents around the entire aquatics facility
immediately and appropriately. This includes, but is not limited to
performing Lifeguarding skills, First Aid, CPR, and other until
arrival of emergency medical services.
- Provide general information on pool operations to guests.
Caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards;
enforce aquatic facility rules and regulations.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly facility. Inspect facility
regularly and report any unsafe conditions/equipment to supervisor
or facilities manager immediately.
- Attend and participate in all mandatory staff meetings and
- Promote aquatic programs and center memberships.
- Provide guests with swimming skills test.
- Hold productive and engaging lessons for participants of all
ages; follow the provided curricula. Keep accurate and timely
records of all lessons.
- Maintain open communication with guests, participants and/or
- Set up and clean up the facility daily.
- Operate and maintain the concession stand.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, including
abiding to uniform requirements.
- Complete additional duties assigned by supervisors.
- Certified in American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid and
CPR/AED for the Lifeguard.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Pre-employment/employment testing of lifeguarding skills and
knowledge (including but not limited to: swim 300 yards non-stop,
ability to tread water for 2 minutes without hands, back-boarding
skills, swim 20 yards - pick up 10 pound brick off bottom and swim
it back within 1 minute and 40 seconds, lifeguard written
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency
situations. Good decision-maker.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in
- Ability to work as an individual and also within the framework
of a team.
- Understand and abide by the department's customer service
- Maintain personal physical endurance and agility necessary to
perform job functions.
- Previous experience in lifeguarding preferred.
- Swimming experience preferred.
RATE OF PAY: Contingent - Paraprofessional
Salary commensurate with experience and employment
$11.00-16.00 per hour
Keywords: Howard County Government, Ellicott City , Lifeguard/Swim Instructor- Recreation & Parks, Other , Ellicott City, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!