Grade 3 Stationary Engineer 2nd Shift
Company: McDaniel College
Location: York Springs
Posted on: May 13, 2022
About McDaniel College:
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among "Colleges that Change
Lives" and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts
colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and
sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study,
including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded
graduate programs. At McDaniel College we value our employees by
offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement
accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending
accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave.
Visit College website for details.
Responsible for the operation, preventative maintenance, repair,
replacement, and renovation of boiler systems and other mechanical
systems on campus. This is a 40-hour/week position requiring
coverage Tuesday-Saturday from 2:00pm-10:30pm. Occasional overtime
* Able to work independently with little supervision.
* Perform duties to ensure that equipment is operating safely,
efficiently, and in compliance with all regulatory/inspection
* Provide stationary engineering support to ensure the boiler plant
is well maintained and delivering the proper steam pressure to the
* Monitor, repair, and perform preventive maintenance of HVAC
systems, heating systems, ventilation/exhaust systems, and
refrigeration systems as required.
* Provide excellent communication with students, faculty, and staff
- both verbally and in writing.
* This role requires working evenings, weekends, and holidays as
* Must be able to respond to emergencies on an on-call basis as
needed, as well as participate in department on call schedule.
The following are typical examples of the type of work performed
under this job description. This list does not include all work to
be performed and duties are subject to change as deemed necessary
by the Director of Building Operations and Maintenance.
* Observe and interpret readings from gauges, meters, and charts
registering various aspects of boiler plant, heat exchanger, and
other mechanical system operation to ensure systems are operating
* Collect data and maintain boiler plant and mechanical room logs
consisting of pressures, temperatures, water levels, fuel/water
consumption, electrical loads, etc.
* Test water quality on boilers, fountains, pools, and other
hydronic systems and log results. Take appropriate corrective
action to prevent corrosion and harmful deposits and bring levels
* Monitor and make adjustments/repairs to boiler water, water
softener, chemical, and fuel levels.
* Check and maintain appropriate levels of boiler chemicals and
* Analyze problems and take appropriate action to ensure continuous
and reliable operation of equipment and systems within and outside
of the boiler plant.
* Monitor, troubleshoot, inspect, and report equipment, computer
monitoring software, switches, valves, gauges, safety devices, and
meters to detect leaks or malfunctions to ensure equipment is
operating safely and efficiently.
* Perform tasks for boiler inspections to meet MD DLLR codes and
* Check fuel level and general status of emergency generators.
* Perform maintenance duties such as: Checking water level and
skimming outdoor fountain, unclogging a toilet/sink/urinal/drain
line, replacing ceiling tiles, resetting breaker, boarding up
broken window, and other general maintenance tasks.
* Repair and replace pneumatic steam valves, radiator valves,
traps, and steam and condensate pipes.
* Repair and replace components such as expansion tanks, valves,
pumps, motors, compressors, etc.
* Repair and rebuild steam line regulator valves and controls.
Repair or replace leaking radiators.
* Service, repair, replace residential gas/oil boilers, furnaces,
and other heating system components.
* Assist in the proper labeling of pipes and equipment to maintain
* Work as part of a group to perform maintenance activities of a
general nature such as window air conditioner installation and
removal, commencement set up/tear down, etc. There may be times
during the year when time off is not available or limited.
* Participate as part of emergency team to perform such tasks as
electrical shutdown, start up, etc.
* Work with contractors and construction staff to locate lines,
valves, and other system equipment. Perform shut down/start up as
* Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and
supplies; promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and
* Clean equipment in related areas.
* Perform snow shoveling/removal.
* Perform maintenance and repairs of general nature as
* Perform related work in this classification routinely and work
outside this classification on temporary, occasional basis.
* Must possess and maintain current MD Grade 3 Stationary Engineer
license with at least 1 year experience working with steam boilers
at that level.
* Must have working knowledge of steam, water, and natural gas
distribution systems maintenance and repair.
* Must possess and maintain EPA 608 CFC certification, Universal
* Must have the ability to read and comprehend written
instructions, procedures, and service manuals.
* Must have the ability to express oneself orally as well as in
* Must have the ability to learn departmental policies, procedures,
and mechanical systems, proper use of tools and materials used to
perform duties within a ninety-day probationary period.
* Must have valid driver's license with two or less points.
* Must be able to work during emergency weather events including
but not limited to snow, hurricanes, tornados, etc.
* Must be able to respond to campus emergencies when called.
* Must attend weekly in-service/departmental meetings.
* Must be familiar with employee handbook.
* Must be familiar with departmental policies.
* Must attend in-service education as directed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
exposed to outdoor weather conditions such as heat, cold, snow, and
rain, dirt, and steam. The noise level in the work environment is
usually moderate. Exposure to operating machinery consistent with
working in a maintenance department.
The physical demands described below are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job:
* Ability to work in noise, heat, cold, odors, dirt, outdoor
temperatures, snow, steam, and emergency situations. Ability to
work at higher elevation to gain access to equipment.
* Ability to repetitively push and pull objects weighing up to
75lbs without assistance while kneeling, squatting, reaching above
the head, the waist, and below the knees. Must be able to bend at
* Ability to repetitively grasp and manipulate objects of varying
size and weight requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye
* Ability to exert oneself physically over sustained periods of
time to complete job activities.
* Ability to stand a minimum of 6 hours during the workday.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not
discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of
students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its
educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not
tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected
status including race, religion, color, national origin,
disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status,
veteran's status or any other legally protected status. For more
information on the College's commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion, please visit
Completed applications must include the following: Cover Letter
addressing position qualifications and related experience; Resume,
Names and Contact Information of three professional references, and
completed Job Application. Review of applications begins
immediately. The position will remain open until filled.
Keywords: McDaniel College, Ellicott City , Grade 3 Stationary Engineer 2nd Shift, Education / Teaching , York Springs, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!